Saturday, January 28, 2012

Vegan Sloppy Joes

The only thing in this healthy sloppy joe update that's from a can is maybe the lentils if you don't have time to soak your own. 

Vegan Sloppy Joes
(makes 8 sandwiches)
20 ounces of any combination of mushrooms (diced)
3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1 white onion, diced (about a cup)
1 Not-Beef bouillon cube
1/4 cup white wine
2 large diced carrots (about a cup)
2 stalks of diced celery (about 1/2 cup)
1 diced green bell pepper (about a cup)
1 1/2 cups of prepared lentils
1 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons vegan Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon mustard
olive oil
salt and pepper
8 whole wheat buns
In a large 12-inch frying pan. sauté the mushrooms in a 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until browned and liquid has evaporated. Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same pan, sauté the onion and the bouillon cube in one tablespoon of olive oil until onion is translucent. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Cook until wine has evaporated (about 4 minutes). Add the carrots, celery, and bell pepper. Cook on medium until carrots have softened -- about 5-7 minutes.
Return mushrooms to the pan with the vegetables and add the lentils,  Turn heat to low and stir and heat the mix through. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon a cup or so of the mixture onto warmed Kaiser rolls and have some napkins ready.

5 comments:

  1. hey, I'm gonna make this one this week sometime...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. Made these over the weekend. Amazing! Love the texture from the lentils, and the heartiness from the mushrooms. Also, I shamefully loved all the oil in the recipe, although I typically cook with far less. But since I was testing, I told my inner fat-phobe to just do it. And of course, that added to the sloppy joe mix's yumminess.

    Tastewise, the recipe is perfect! But there are a few things with how it's written:

    1) I was unable to find a 20-ounce package of mushrooms (or two 10-ounce packages). Kroger only sells mushrooms in 8 or 16-ounces. So I went with 16-ounces. Worked just fine.

    2) When you mention sauteeing the Not Beef cube with the onions, the instructions don't specify whether or not to crumble it into the oil. I assumed I was supposed to, but some people might need more specific instructions.

    3) There's no mention of what to do with the ketchup, worcestershire sauce, or mustard in the instructions. I assumed I was supposed to mix it in with the lentils...and I did.

    4) And there's an extra olive oil mentioned at the end of the ingredient list, and I didn't know what that was far. The 3 Tbsp. in the recipe were definitely enough.

    Anyway, those are just picky things. The same sort of stuff I had to fix in my manuscript a few weeks ago. Good luck! I'll try and test some vegan stuff soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Bianca took this on. I just recently went on breadless diet, and was contemplating whether I should break my commitment. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful!!! Above instructions didn't talk about the sauce ingredients, but seemed pretty obvious. Some people had it on whole wheat buns, GF folks threw it into taco shells. I think I'll take the lentil/veg mix Mexican next time and play with burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc. Also, water sauteed in a non stick and kept EVOO to 1 Tbl. Will also replace prepared ketchup w no salt tomato sauce, vinegar and a few dates blended together. THIS is TERRIFIC!

    ReplyDelete