Thursday, January 19, 2012

Caprese Salad in a Jar

I brought home the ingredients for caprese salad; of course, we just couldn't leave well enough alone. This salad-in-jars recipe is basic, but the results are pretty and fun; may the ridiculous appeal of serving all sorts of food in jars live on this summer for many salads to come.
Caprese Salad in a Jar
(serves 4)
Special equipment: 4 medium wide-mouth jars
2 cups of arugula
1/2 cup green basil (leaves only)
1/2 cup purple basil (leaves only)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
8 ounces mini bocconcini
For the dressing:
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
scant 1/8 teaspoon of honey
1/8 teaspoon Maldon salt
1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Tear larger basil leaves and leave the smaller ones whole, One ingredient at a time, layer first the arugula then the 2 basils, tomatoes, and bocconcini in 4 jars. Set open jars in the fridge to chill. Next, whisk all ingredients of the dressing together. When you're ready to serve the salads, drizzle the dressing on top of the salad, close the lids, and tell whoever's eating the salad to shake it up to mix everything together and then enjoy it straight from the jar.
For more crazy caprese ideas check out our caprese tart.

4 comments:

  1. Testing it! So looking forward to this yummyfest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I changed some things when I posted it. I included the amount of cheese and upped the tomato count, so let me know exactly what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notes: I was unsure whether to chop the basil leaves or leave them whole, so I ended up chopping them coarsely. I had to kinda shake an tap the jar after the arugula was in it to make it settle enough to put the other ingredients in. I got squat wide mouth jars and when I divided evenly, there was room for more. But, after I ate one jar, I came to the conclusion that it was a perfect serving for one person. I liked the inclusion of arugula--really gave it that nutty taste and made it feel like more of a salad to me. The dressing was light and not overwhelming--I bet it came to 1 tbsp roughly per jar, which IMO is plenty. It added to the flavor subtly, but leaving room to showcase the fresh flavors of the tomatoes and other ingredients. Also, those Maldon salt flakes are awesome. First time using them! Recipe was easy to follow and straightforward. I could see making a double batch and taking to a party--great idea for a dinner party or potluck item--easy to carry a jar and contained so it won't spill on the way to the party. Really tasty and unique caprese that I would make again. I liked the amount of tomato--1 cup--if people just LOVE tomato, they can always just add more to their liking, right? Hope some of this info helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect, Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for coming through. Only 119 left to test.

    ReplyDelete