Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Torta

To me, a torta is just the perfect food: tasty, filling, portable, and full of endless possibilities. I have to tell you that it's just as delicious as it is simple to make, it's a good excuse to bust out your grill, no matter what season it is. 

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Torta
(serves 4)
2 cups prepared black beans (drained)
2 cloves garlic (roasted for milder flavor)
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
juice from half a lime
2 poblano chilies (roasted, peeled, seeds removed)
1-2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and then sliced 1/8-inch thin by a mandolin)
1-2 medium zucchini (sliced 1/8-inch thin using a mandolin)
olive oil
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
salt and pepper (to taste)
4 torta buns (hoagie buns are a good sub)
3-4 ounces queso fresco (or soft goat cheese)
2 avocados (peeled, seeded, quartered)

Garnishes:
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
2 sliced roma tomato
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1/2 cup cilantro
1/4 cup mayo
hot sauce
lime wedges

Using a food processor, blend the black beans, garlic, chipotle powder, and lime juice together until this forms a thick paste. You may need to add a tablespoon of water or stock to get the mixture moving. Brush both sides of the sweet potato and the zucchini with a generous amount of olive oil, sprinkle both sides with ancho chili powder and salt. Preheat your grill. Grill sweet potato and zucchini for 3-5 minutes per side or until well marked by the grill grates.
Warm buns so they are nice and crispy on the outside. Slice buns in half and pull out the excess bread from the top half of the bun. (This creates a handy chamber that will make for a neater sandwich.) Starting at the bottom, spread black beans on the bun, top with roasted poblano, zucchini, sweet potato, cilantro, green onion, tomato slices, cabbage, avocado, hot sauce, cheese, and mayo.

5 comments:

  1. Have no fear. I will make this on the Holiday Monday for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There may have been wine involved in this decision but I am still looking forward to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so simple. You won't have a problem...and you may be the only one of your friends that has had a sweet potato sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies for taking this long to write out my notes but the time got away from me. First off, it tasted fantastic. The problems I ran into weren't specific so much as a general lack of direction. It all turned out in the end but I had to look up how to roast a pepper. (At what temp for how long). That sort of thing. The ingredient list is a little heavy on process for me. But that is just the way some recipes are.

    The only specific issue I had was that my beans wouldn't turn into a paste. It may be that my limes weren't very juicy or that I did the beans from scratch (soak and boil).

    Also, when reading a recipe I really like it when it not only lists the time but the expected outcome as well. "Grill for 3-5 minutes on each side or until....." That sort of thing. That way, if I have to make some alterations I know what result I am looking for.

    On a whole, this was great. Really nice flavour combination and not as heavy as I originally suspected.

    Keep it up!

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem. Thank you for doing this. You are a star tester for sure. I'll add the specifics on time and outcome.

    ReplyDelete